Treatment for Restless Legs Syndrome
The goals of RLS (restless legs syndrome) treatment are to relieve symptoms, increase the amount and quality of sleep, and treat or correct any underlying condition that may be the cause of restless legs syndrome. The main types of treatment for RLS include lifestyle changes and medications.
- Relieve symptoms
- Increase the amount and quality of sleep
- Treat or correct any underlying condition that may be a cause of restless legs syndrome.
(Click Restless Legs Syndrome Causes for more information.)
Treatment options include lifestyle changes and medications.
Lifestyle ChangesRestless legs syndrome treatment will include lifestyle changes, which can improve and relieve RLS symptoms. Lifestyle changes that may help include:
- Adopting good sleep habits.
- Following a program of moderate exercise.
- Engaging in activities such as walking or stretching, taking a hot or cold bath, massaging the leg or arm, and using heat or ice packs.
- Taking an iron supplement. Iron supplements should only be used if recommended by a doctor.