Restless Legs Syndrome Home > Mirapex Side Effects
Although some people may experience side effects with Mirapex, they often find that such problems are minor and easily treated. Some of the common side effects that may appear in people taking the drug for Parkinson's disease include insomnia, nausea, and dizziness. Those seen in people taking it for restless legs syndrome include headaches, nausea, and insomnia.
An Introduction to Mirapex Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Mirapex® (pramipexole dihydrochloride) may cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, many people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Mirapex. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Mirapex side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of MirapexMirapex has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received the real medication, while another group was given a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group who took the placebo.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Mirapex for Parkinson's disease treatment included:
- Low blood pressure when suddenly standing or sitting up -- in up to 53 percent of people
- Involuntary body movements, such as tics -- up to 47 percent
- Nausea -- up to 28 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 27 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 26 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 22 percent
- Weakness -- up to 14 percent
- Abnormal dreams -- up to 11 percent.
Many of the people in these studies were also taking other Parkinson's medications that likely contributed to some of these side effects.
- Nausea -- in up to 27 percent of people
- Headaches -- up to 16 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 13 percent.